How to change video mode with grub to allow uefi boot

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
valmar

How to change video mode with grub to allow uefi boot

Post by valmar »

Dear All,

first of all let me introduce myself. I am Valerio, a long time linux user who got into BSDs recently (and not because of systemd!). I am trying to install GhostBSD on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15 (2015). After "burning" the ISO to a USB stick, I try to boot it in UEFI mode and I get a kernel trap.

But that is not the problem I have! I already know that this is caused by this bug: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/fre ... 54306.html
With normal freebsd, my workaround is this. I let the bootloader start booting. I interruput the boot by pressing a key, I change the video mode to 2 with "mode 2" and then I keepbooting with "autoboot". This works perfectly

However, I cannot use the same workaround with GhostBSD because it uses grub instead of the Freebsd bootloader and the booting process does not stop and allow me to change video mode.

Does anyone know how I could set the video mode when booting the install usb, and avoid he kernel trap?

Thank you for your help

Valerio
valmar

Re: How to change video mode with grub to allow uefi boot

Post by valmar »

Dear All,

answering my own question (I found out in the end!):

One has to edit the grub entry (select it and press 'e'). At the top, before any other option, one has to put:

set gfxpayload=<width>x<height>

for example, I tried with set gfxpayload=800x600. One can then boot by pressing F10. It boots now. Unfortunately X does not start. In the X log, I get this error:

(II) VESA(0): initializing int10
(EE) VESA(0): V_BIOS address 0x0 out of range

(I have an Intel Bay Trail card that is not supported, so I chose the vesa option at boot)

If someone knows how to solve this... help would be appreciated.... (By the way, should I start another thread about this problem?)