Firefox disappeared with latest update

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Harion

Firefox disappeared with latest update

Post by Harion »

Hello,

Just received a GhostBSD update some hours ago. From what I understand, it uninstalled firefox rather than update it.

In OctoPkg, I can't see anymore the firefox package in the installed ones nor in the remote ones (only firefox-esr remained). It simply disappeared.

How can I reinstall firefox?
dinsdale

Re: Firefox disappeared with latest update

Post by dinsdale »

Ditto. Firefox disappeared, chrome won't open (it was already crippled), and the pkg system can't find files:

russellh@g1 ~> sudo pkg install firefox
Password:
Updating GhostBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository GhostBSD load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-GhostBSD.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
pkg: http://pkg.GhostBSD.org/GhostBSD-11/amd ... t/meta.txz: Not Found
repository GhostBSD has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.GhostBSD.org/GhostBSD-11/amd ... gesite.txz: Not Found
Unable to update repository GhostBSD
Error updating repositories!

Update - To fix pkg I checked the website and found there was no "current" directory but there was a "build" directory.

Code: Select all

cd /etc/pkg
sudo chmod +w GhostBSD.conf
sudo vim GhostBSD.conf
modify the URL. Change "current" to "build"

To fix firefox:

Code: Select all

sudo pkg install firefox
Harion

Post by Harion »

Thanks, it worked. I used OctoPkg instead but the url "current" is actually missing.

(I don't understand why you chmod +x GhostBSD.conf as it's a conf file not a script.)

Yesterday, when I launched OctoPkg, there was no error (and no firefox) but today I saw the errors you mention. So I just changed the url in GhostBSD.conf and it works now.

I wonder what the ### is going on in GhostBSD repositories and update system.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did fix the issue this morning the repository is back up. If Firefox still missing let me know.
Harion

Post by Harion »

ericbsd wrote:I did fix the issue this morning the repository is back up. If Firefox still missing let me know.
Firefox was installed with the content of "build" folder thanks to dinsdale. I switch back to "current" as "build" doesn't exist anymore.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Harion wrote:Thanks, it worked. I used OctoPkg instead but the url "current" is actually missing.

(I don't understand why you chmod +x GhostBSD.conf as it's a conf file not a script.)

Yesterday, when I launched OctoPkg, there was no error (and no firefox) but today I saw the errors you mention. So I just changed the url in GhostBSD.conf and it works now.

I wonder what the ### is going on in GhostBSD repositories and update system.
+w not +x. My conf file was not writeable. Cheers
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

ericbsd wrote:I did fix the issue this morning the repository is back up. If Firefox still missing let me know.
When I use my mouse wheel to scroll up while in Firefox, it goes back a page. Do you know how to fix that?

Thanks,
Dinsdale
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

dinsdale wrote:
When I use my mouse wheel to scroll up while in Firefox, it goes back a page. Do you know how to fix that?

Thanks,
Dinsdale
See viewtopic.php?f=63&t=940&p=5551&hilit=mouse#p555

You will need to remove moused_enable from /etc/rc.conf it is needed for a laptop but not for VirtualBox and Desktop so if you remove it that will solve your problem.