GhostBSD has installed microsoft generic service host

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
kenw

GhostBSD has installed microsoft generic service host

Post by kenw »

I set up pf. firewall and ran "shields up" from www.grc.com

This tells me that port 1024 is open and ports 1025, 1026 and 1027 are closed and are all being used by "microsoft generic service host".
GhostBSD is the only OS on the computer and I have never had Microsoft installed on it.

Having looked in /etc/services port 1024, 1026 and 1027 are not listed, 1025 is assigned twice to
blackjack 1025/tcp #network blackjack
blackjack 1025/udp #network blackjack

How has "microsoft generic service host" got onto the system and how can I get rid of it?
Hecktor

Re: GhostBSD has installed microsoft generic service host

Post by Hecktor »

I think you need more information. We don't know if that is good or bad. You basically said the equivalent of I ran this program and it said my computer was a red nightingale, I don't want my computer to be a red nightingale, how do I fix it?
kenw

Post by kenw »

Hi Hecktor
Thanks for your reply
I followed this post in Tips and Tricks for the firewall installation "My Post-installation Configuration Postby macondo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 am".
To test the Firewall it says to use "Shields Up" and all ports should show green. I followed this and all ports showed green except the ones I mentioned.
They are listed as using the Microsoft program.
I gave up using Microsoft about 20 years ago and have never had Microsoft installed on this computer. I do not see how Microsoft programs have been installed with GhostBSD.
I would like either remove the Microsoft junk or close the ports associated with it.
Ken
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Hey Ken,

Unfortunately I don't use GhostBSD as I want zfs in a partition, so using the normal FreeBSD. So I don't know what they have by default installed.

I kind of replied since I see you didn't get a response. Ideally you might want to message macondo and see if he might know as it was his recommendation. They do have a small crew working on GhostBSD.

I'm not sure if this might be helpful for you:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/freebsd-u ... -commands/

Edit: site refers to use of netstat, sockstat, lsof(I mention this in case the external site becomes unavailable in the future)

Unfortunately my knowledge on ports is pretty low. If I had to guess they installed samba or some kind of printing thing. I like HTOP to see what I is running. Not sure if that is available on GhostBSD, it is on FreeBSD. Top is nice. And there is also ps.

Not sure if that helps, but at the very least those commands will give you more info. My guess is samba since they want to make things convenient for people.

...Hecktor
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Just to add something to this, I ran shields-up on my FreeBSD 12 install. I didn't configure anything with the firewall. This was a basic install where just installed the GUI and KDE plasma 5.

It passed shields-up with no vulnerabilities. So it definitely looks like GhostBSD adds something that opens that up. My windows 10 also passed with no issues.

Edit: Also Linux Devuan showed no vulnerabilities either.
kenw

Post by kenw »

Hi Hecktor
Thanks for your reply