Install Chromium?

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Harion

Install Chromium?

Post by Harion »

Hello,

I didn't find a package for install the Chromium web navigator. Is there a way to install it anyway or is it forbidden in GhostBSD for some obscure reasons?
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: Install Chromium?

Post by NevilleGoddard »

GhostBSD has it's own repository and at the moment some packages are missing.

They should be back up soon. ;)

Meanwhile you could wait a little or install the port. the Iridium package is close to Chromium.

If you can't wait for the package:

To install by ports:

#portsnap fetch

#portsnap extract

#cd /usr/ports/www/chromium/ && make install clean
fmh

Post by fmh »

How I installed Chromium browser under GhostBSD 11.1 was to run OctoPkg (the green Pacman Ghost looking icon) then once loaded and updated search for Chromium, select it to install, and then install it. I could have also done it from the Command Line but this is simpler for me.
Harion

Post by Harion »

Hello all,

As I wrote, there is no way to install Chromium with packages for now. It certainly may have been possible some time ago, but not now.

So I decided to use ports. It's a nightmare. Several hours to download and compile... I stopped the process because I ran low of room on my disk. No other choice but to launch "make clean". I've just restarted the thing right now. I'll see if it's worth the price as my only need is to get a french spelling corrector embedded in a navigator. Ain't sure it does that.

Nevertheless, thank you NevilleGoddard, as that brings me some more knowledge about this system. And by the way, I would like to thanks all the developers who give their times for building such excellent free software.
Harion

Post by Harion »

Chromium is now installed after something like 12 hours of intense compiling. At the first place, it seemed running well with my so desired french spelling corrector.

In fact, all was good until I tried to change the Chromium window size with the mouse... It's not only some display problems, Chromium hangs each time. Sadly, it's just no usable.

Is there a known workaround or should I wait for the GhostBSD package?

For information, this system run in a virtualbox VM.
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Chromium doesn't work well on FreeBSD in my trials of it. Firefox was basically the only useable browser. But now palemoon works much better for me.

I'm not overly familiar with GhostBSD, but as it is FreeBSD, you should be able to just download the package from freebsd site and install. However, I'm not sure how modified GhostBSD is of FreeBSD. Here is the location for the download:
http://pkg.freebsd.org/

This page might help you for installing, I don't believe I have installed from a file myself:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... on-offline

Again though, I'd recommend palemoon as Chromium seemed kind of buggy and Firefox just chews up the memory over time.
Harion

Post by Harion »

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. I have palemoon among ports I downloaded. I'll give it a try.
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

Just to give you a heads up on that, I use Palemoon for everything. However, today the login box for my investment website was missing. This is the first time I tried it on palemoon. The website is nbc.ca. Firefox displayed it as it should.

Apparently opera used to be a very good default browser for FreeBSD. That is apparently no longer the case. Chromium seemed to be buggy. TrueOS is going with Qupzilla, but that is really buggy now and is even worse than Chromium. So it seemed firefox was basically the only option. Palemoon is a recent entry to FreeBSD and it seems to work well. I maybe could have got that website working somehow by maybe making the website think I was running firefox. But I don't mind running firefox for just that one website.