bringing GhostBSD onto usb

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
Kaltwasserspringer

bringing GhostBSD onto usb

Post by Kaltwasserspringer »

Hi there!
I'm trying to get GhostBSD onto my USB-stick but unfortunately ist doesn't work.
The situation is as follows:
I have a Sony VAIO with 11 Linux-systems running on it (Ubuntu 14.04 as lead system, the other ones sitting on a logical (edit: in trueth it's an extended partition) partition).
In order to have a broad variety on my computer I want to replace one of the systems by GhostBSD (as it is possible to install without bootloader, great invention!).
So, I tried to bring GhostBSD onto my usb-stick, using the "dd" as described in the Handbook and in the Wiki of GhostBSD website.
The restart brings me a black screen with a blinking underline and that's it. Trying unetbootin doesn't work ("no kernel...")
The md5 sum is checked and allright.

You might know my next question: What the ### am I doing wrong? Do I have to format the stick in a ufs, for instance? Gparted does not offer this for USB-sticks...

I would be very greatful for help!

Nice greetings!
Coldwaterjumper ;-)
Last edited by Kaltwasserspringer on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: bringing GhostBSD onto usb

Post by ericbsd »

Hi,

Did you use like this?

Code: Select all

dd if=GhostBSD10.1-RELEASE-20150912-mate-i386.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=1M
Kaltwasserspringer

Hey there!
Yes, this is what I used...roughly...In detail I changed directory first to the drive containing the iso. Then:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=GhostBSD10.1-RELEASE-amd64.img of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M conv=sync 
as sdb1 is the USB-stick. Is this outdated?

Meanwhile I tried out the iso.-installer used under Linux Mint. No idea why but it works, GhostBSD-live is actually running.
Is it normal that the live-system does not recognize the WLAN-device?
Can't wait to install...:-)

Thanks and nice greetings!
Kaltwasserspringer

P.s.:
I'm just reading through the forum and finding out that gBSD can't get installed in an extended partition of a MBR system?
Still true?

Regards
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Yes it is true and still like this. Also if you install GhostBSD make sure that the partition you setup is really the right partition and if your partition is not in order it might cause problem.
Kaltwasserspringer

Oh, this is too sad...
I have ten different Linux-systems packed into my extended partition, alongside with my Ubuntu LTS, a swap and the data-partition. ### it, no space left!?
One out of those ten I was willing to sacrifice for gBSD...:-(
It seems to be I need another computer...

Greetings!