quick cross reference Linux <-> GhostBSD

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
ASX

quick cross reference Linux <-> GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

Hi All,

new GhostBSD user here, and I'm new to BSD world except I already use NAS4Free, first of all congrats to the developers for their great work!

Actually I'm using it in vbox only (started with GhostBSD 4.0, than tried a few alpha releases and now trying 10.1-Beta1), until installation using custom partitioning will be fully working, in fact I will need at least dual boot and don't want to risk serious issues with the other systems, which are all Linuxes.

My first question: can someone point me to some quick/bare/whatever cross reference documentation, in short how the basic linux commands translate in GhostBSD environment ? That would be a great help for a new starter like me.

I'm in a evaluation phase, running the livecd/liveusb here and there on my few systems, I would need at least some basic guidance on how to identify the hardware not yet recognized, the equivalent of Linux utilities lspci and lsusb to begin with.

Thank you in advance. ;)
ericbsd
Developer

Re: quick cross reference Linux <-> GhostBSD

Post by ericbsd »

Hard to say what command you talk about, but pkg will be a useful one to install software.

Code: Select all

pkg install corebird

pkg search bird

pkg upgrade
ASX

Post by ASX »

Indeed, "pkg" is one of the commands I was looking for, but also one I already get acquainted to. ;)

Anyway, I have found this table which is exactly what I was looking for, only it is very outdated:
http://www.unixguide.net/unixguide.shtml

and this, especially paragraph 9, which instead look current:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO88 ... ticle.html

Another useful command not mentioned in the above linked docs is "usbconfig", comparable to linux's "lsusb"

Well, look like I'm finding my way. :)

EDIT:
Sorry to ask, how do I mark this thread as solved/closed ?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did it for you, but is circle in green where to press for solve
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 8054 times