Full Screen on VirtualBox

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
vocalbit

Full Screen on VirtualBox

Post by vocalbit »

Hello,

First of all - let me say GhostBSD is great! Looking at the website I was a bit skeptical, but once I installed it I was very impressed. It's quite polished, is simpler than PC-BSD and looks much better. Just what I've been wanting for a clean desktop FreeBSD installation :) I'm surprised PC-BSD is still touted as the go-to install for desktop FreeBSD.

The problem I have is I cant get GhostBSD to expand to fullscreen within virtualbox. I'm using virtualbox 4.3.20 and while GhostBSD 4.0 installs and works fine, when I fullscreen the window, Ghost still displays in a smaller window. I found the virtualbox-ose-additions are pre-installed on Ghost. I also tried upgrading the virtualbox-ose-additions, tried 'xorg -configure' again, tried upgrading the xserver (which actually broke it completely - I get a blank screen now). But I'm interested in suggestions on how to get Ghost to render full screen.

GhostBSD doesn't support my wifi card on my laptop so unfortunately virtualbox is the only way I can run it. I'll be all set if I get it to run full screen.

If Ghost full screen works in your virtualbox, can you please tell me the virtualbox version number?

Thanks!
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Full Screen on VirtualBox

Post by ericbsd »

to find which version of VirtualBox do:

Code: Select all

sudo pkg info virtualbox-ose-additions
I am starting to build alpha release and I test GhostBSD in VirtualBox to test it I will see if I can find the solution for you in the same time.
zoulou99

Post by zoulou99 »

vocalbit wrote:Hello,

First of all - let me say GhostBSD is great! Looking at the website I was a bit skeptical, but once I installed it I was very impressed. It's quite polished, is simpler than PC-BSD and looks much better. Just what I've been wanting for a clean desktop FreeBSD installation :) I'm surprised PC-BSD is still touted as the go-to install for desktop FreeBSD.

The problem I have is I cant get GhostBSD to expand to fullscreen within virtualbox. I'm using virtualbox 4.3.20 and while GhostBSD 4.0 installs and works fine, when I fullscreen the window, Ghost still displays in a smaller window. I found the virtualbox-ose-additions are pre-installed on Ghost. I also tried upgrading the virtualbox-ose-additions, tried 'xorg -configure' again, tried upgrading the xserver (which actually broke it completely - I get a blank screen now). But I'm interested in suggestions on how to get Ghost to render full screen.

GhostBSD doesn't support my wifi card on my laptop so unfortunately virtualbox is the only way I can run it. I'll be all set if I get it to run full screen.

If Ghost full screen works in your virtualbox, can you please tell me the virtualbox version number?

Thanks!
after installing "virtualbox-ose-additions", just install xrandr and reboot.

Code: Select all

sudo pkg install xrandr
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Thanks zoulou99.
zoulou99

Post by zoulou99 »

ericbsd wrote:Thanks zoulou99.
thank you for your hard work on GhostBSD