i386 / 32 bit GhostBSD

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
ASX

Re: i386 / 32 bit GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

KC_386 wrote:
Unfortunately mostly this is due to the apparent lack of commitment about maintaining a 32bit distro. This is a shame
I agree with you, it is a shame to waste a large amount of delevelopment time and resources to support an ancient and outdated arch..
as there is nothing wrong with the hardware (indeed I would buy another IBM T60 or T61 in a heartbeat),
those models are approximately 10 years old ... however I'm fairly sure that they are mosttly 64 bit capable depending on CPU, all core 2 duo provide 64 bit support.
It would appear that the attraction of the working on the latest wiz-bang hardware offering, (and being chained to the hardware manufacturer's release cycles drives) holds more attention than just maintaining a well functioning and reliable distribution. This is a pity.
Latest wiz-bang ? :D :D :D
Intel launched 80386 in 1985 .... AMD launched the first 64bit CPU in 2003, yeah amd64 arch at the time was the latest wiz-bang, but it was nearly 15 years ago.
So again everyone thanks but no thanks. Keep enjoying BSD, no doubt I will return to it when I have to move to 64bit computing.
You don't have to, you can safely stay stuck in the past forever!
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

kraileth wrote:However the team has not yet reached any consensus that matter so nobody knows if the "hard cut" (laying i386 to rest completely) is final or not.
I would say that me and ASX that we talk almost daily we have reached consensus to not support i386 for better or worst and it might happen faster than you know.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:
kraileth wrote:However the team has not yet reached any consensus that matter so nobody knows if the "hard cut" (laying i386 to rest completely) is final or not.
I would say that me and ASX that we talk almost daily we have reached consensus to not support i386 for better or worst and it might happen faster than you know.
Alright, it's decided then. Time to retire my old machine - or rather put it to some other good use.