Not able to boot into GhostBSD after removing KDE5 [Solved]

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
janios

Not able to boot into GhostBSD after removing KDE5 [Solved]

Post by janios »

Solved:

0. Boot single user mode
1. Root prompt # mount -u -o rw /
2. edit /etc/rc.conf with proper changes to the vbox lines
3. reboot
4. back into GhostBSD :)

I installed KDE5 in GhostBSD last night and today i decided to remove it. I did but it didn't seems to remove the entire pieces from the system so, i searched how to remove KDE5 completely and it was recommended to use the following command: pkg remove qt\* kde\*.

So issued the command then after decided to remove Virtualbox which didn't load for me once in the system but... that's another issue.

So i edited /etc/rc.conf file to remove virtualbox line but i don't know which one tanked the system though i believe it was the lines in /etc/rc.conf rather than the removal of KDE because after i had removed KDE i rebooted in did get back into they system and that's when i decided to also remove those lines and remove virtualbox. I don't want this to get too confusing so i'll stop there. Is someone able to help me out here so i can get back into ghostBSD.

I believe tthis is the issue:

/etc/rc.conf: 32: Syntax: error: Unterminated quoted string

0. Trying to edit the /etc/rc.conf file but it won't let me change it becasuse read only file system

1. When the system loads it hangs and brings me to a window with the follwoing:
-Enter full pathname of shell or return for /bin/sh:

2. At the #root prompt i type pico /etc/rc.conf to edit the file with it's original settings however when i save it says:
-Cannot open file for writing: Read-only file system

3. I try to reinstall kde and to update the system but recieve the following:
-pkg: Insufuficient Privileges
aschiebe

Re: Not able to boot into GhostBSD after removing KDE5 [Solved]

Post by aschiebe »

Hi Janios,
I would try to correct the rc.conf when booting the system from a usb boot stick with GhostBSD, then mount the root filesystem and correct the wrong syntax in rc.conf.
Or
when have have installed the system with ZFS filesystem, when booting up the system to choose in the boot menu and elder BootEnvironemnt and boot in the this BE. Best case is that the elder BE boot up and you have a running system again and can decide to fix your issue in the failing be or just redo your changes again.
Maybe it helps.
Good luck,
KR Arnold