Repository server status?

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
kraileth

Re: Repository server status?

Post by kraileth »

ASX: Thanks for your answers (and for all the experiments you are doing!).
ASX wrote:As for your question about hw. improvement: nothing, the point is that we need to grow up all resources (CPU. RAM, disk I/O) and I'm not sure that spending money on the current machine is the right thing to do.
Ok, so currently it looks like getting a different server is the likely option (because this one cannot cope with the load that this task places on it)? In that case I shouldn't spend any additional money so we could buy better RAM right now, right?
ASX

Post by ASX »

Lets talk with Eric too. I have expressed my opinion, but that doesn't necessarily is a "decision".

I would say that in the long run we will need a better machine, I can also see that we can live with this one if we limit ourselve to update the repos once per week, which look "reasonable" for a start.

Also, there was the idea to "force" use of some swap, but it turned out to not be a so good idea.
I think swap works much better on dragonflybsd, they stated explicitly they tuned / optimized their OS to work well under very heavy load with lot of swapping, but this is not the case for FreeBSD.

So, the additional RAM could be an improvement, that said, I think we should look at the whole picture, consider all our options, and decide accordingly.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Makes sense. Well, if it looks like the machine doesn't really live up to the project's needs it might be a good idea to cancel the whole thing early before putting too much more effort into it. I offered the machine hoping that it would work well for the task it's meant to do. A whole lot of things already went wrong and if it's looking like it won't fit our needs anyway, it might not be a good idea to continue down that path.

You have had by far the most experience with Synth and I blindly trust your judgement there. So if your opinion is that we should get a different dedicated server, I would also vote doing that.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

ASX What would do significant improvement for building pkg?

I do not necessarily talk about the current server.

And what we do from here in your opinion guys.
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth, what is the cost of the additional RAM ?
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:kraileth, what is the cost of the additional RAM ?
I couldn't find any used ECC unbuffered/unregistered RAM. You can easily get 32 GB ECC REG for way below 100€, but for unregistered RAM of that amount, it's usually 400€ new. Found one offer for a bit more than 300. I assume that my boss would accept paying half of that and I take the other half. However if we're considering moving to another server that doesn't make much sense. We are a small company and while it does have some benefits, we simply cannot hold a candle to the Canadian company when it comes to hardware. They surely keep what we need around and that may actually be the easiest solution.
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:
ASX wrote:kraileth, what is the cost of the additional RAM ?
I couldn't find any used ECC unbuffered/unregistered RAM. You can easily get 32 GB ECC REG for way below 100€, but for unregistered RAM of that amount, it's usually 400€ new. Found one offer for a bit more than 300. I assume that my boss would accept paying half of that and I take the other half. However if we're considering moving to another server that doesn't make much sense. We are a small company and while it does have some benefits, we simply cannot hold a candle to the Canadian company when it comes to hardware. They surely keep what we need around and that may actually be the easiest solution.
Thanks kraileth, forget about the additional RAM, doesn't make sense at all, and yes, clearly we will move to SoYouStart/OVH.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:Thanks kraileth, forget about the additional RAM, doesn't make sense at all, and yes, clearly we will move to SoYouStart/OVH.
Ok. Just power the current one off when you're done and tell me. Then I can decommission it and shred the drives.
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:
ASX wrote:Thanks kraileth, forget about the additional RAM, doesn't make sense at all, and yes, clearly we will move to SoYouStart/OVH.
Ok. Just power the current one off when you're done and tell me. Then I can decommission it and shred the drives.
Done, thank you!
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ASX wrote:Done, thank you!
Now that was quick! ;)