GhostBSD 11.0 PREALPHA4 is ready for testing

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: GhostBSD 11.0 PREALPHA4 is ready for testing

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I've downloaded the 64 bit xfce4 alpha image but I can't get to the desktop. I've tried vesa mode and the legacy intel etc but no luck. Using my laptop with Intel graphics. Also tried on my desktop with nvidia graphics. I get to a black screen with 2 or 3 terminal windows and nothing else or it just stalls trying to get to the desktop. In the terminal window I type "startxfce4" and I get the xfce4 panel. One message that I see in one of the terminal windows is

"xfce4-appearance - settings:2613 Gtk-WARNING Unable to locate theme engine engine in module path "murrine" "

Am I doing something wrong?
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard, thanks for testing.

About the intel based machine, can you check if the module i915kms.ko is loaded automatically ?
If not, please try to load it manually

Code: Select all

kldload i915kms
and try again startxfce4
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I'll try it and let you know tomorrow. It's quite late now. I also remember when I entered the command "startxfce4" there was a message in the terminal "xfce4 is already running on screen3" or something close to that. Thanks for your quick reply.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I did try xfce4 and .xinitrc is missing it goes to the default xorg default window manager. Also the wallpaper is missing when I got to the desktop.
NevilleGoddard you need to creat and .xinitrc and add startxfce4 to it. I will make sure to fix that before alpha.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Will this work?

echo "startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Will this work?

echo "startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc
Yes shoudl work.

even better:

echo "exec startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc
if you have muldiple DE installed, you can select one in slim by pressing F1, in this case use:

echo 'exec $1' > ~/.xinitrc
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

OK. I got to the desktop. It seemed to freeze at the selection window for startxfce4, start in vesa mode etc. but it got to the desktop. 8-) There was no wallpaper, just a blue background, but i right clicked on the desktop and selected my wallpaper. Internet is working. But I'm on the root account.
These are the steps I took:
On boot up I selected boot as single user.
Then at the command prompt I did the command recommended by ASX - kldload i915kms This changed the screen resolution to a much sharper resolution
Then I did - echo "startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc
Typed "exit"
Then I got to the select startxfce4 screen and selected startxfce4. It seemed to be frozen it took a long time to get to the desktop but I'm here.

I'll try installing the system now.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote: Then at the command prompt I did the command recommended by ASX - kldload i915kms This changed the screen resolution to a much sharper resolution
I had a similar result while testing a previous version of 11.x on an intel based machine, this seems
to be a regression upstream in FreeBSD-11.

I will be able to test it again in a few days, thanks for reporting about.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks for your help. I just tried a ZFS install but nothing seemed to be happening. The GhostBSD installer window was showing new images as usual but it semmed to be stuck on "creating pcinstall.cfg" or something. I'm doing a UFS install and it seems to be working OK.